iPhone trick: How to listen to YouTube videos while multitasking or locked screen
UPDATE: With YouTube no longer being part of iOS’ core, this trick no longer works in iOS 6.
I accidentally found this trick earlier today and I thought it was worth sharing… I’m not sure if it’s common knowledge. (NOTE: I do see there are some older posts about this, but it was new to me and maybe you.)
Basically, with this trick, you can continue listening to a YouTube video via your iOS device even though you “quit” the app, are in another app or have shut off or locked your screen.
Here’s a how-to video:
1. Launch the YouTube App and play a song.
2. Quit the app by click on the home button.
3. Lock your phone.
4. Double click on your home button.
5. Press play and enjoy the music!
– Also, make sure you do Step 2 by clicking the home button. That want, when you unlock your phone, you can jump into any other app and multitask while jamming.
– You can create a playlist via YouTube… but, in some tests, it didn’t automatically go to the next song. You have to skip to next song before current song stops.
This is the poor man’s Spotify… Hope you find it useful.